List:       dhcp-client
Subject:    Re: Help with dhclient and a rebooting router
From:       Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon () nominum ! com>
Date:       2005-06-23 23:33:00

   *** From dhcp-client -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

On Jun 23, 2005, at 2:58 PM, Gavin Stark wrote:
> I am using dhclient and I'm connected to a router that occasionally
> reboots and looses its dhcp table.   My client doesn't receive a new
> IP address until its lease expires which is far too long.  I do not
> and cannot control the router but several laptops (a Mac OS X box and
> a Windows box) seem to renew their DHCP leases rather quickly after
> the router comes back on line.  Is there some signal the router is
> sending out that dhclient could "catch" and request a new lease?

When the router goes away and comes back, this may be triggering a
link transition on your network - if it's a wireless router, the
wireless network goes away; if it's a wired router, and you're
plugged directly into it, the carrier signal goes away.   This is
probably how Windows and the Mac are noticing the transition.   In
order for the ISC client to notice the transition in this way, it
would have to get some information from the operating system that
this transition has occurred.   Currently it does not do so.