List:       dhcp-client
Subject:    Re: dhcp client does not get ack when listening on port other than 68?
From:       Swapna Prasad <swapna56782004 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-09-24 17:03:47

   *** From dhcp-client -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

Thanks Ted, just curious..if that's so in dhclient command in Linux machines the \
command takes the client port as input.That might just be for debugging purposes.
Thanks
Swapna

On Sep 23, 2004, at 10:34 PM, Swapna Prasad wrote:
> DHCP Server is listening on port 67. I am sending the DHCP
> datagram packet over udp port 64000 and listening on that port I do
> not get
> any reply. Can anyone please tell me what could be the possible reason.

The DHCP protocol spec says that the server _always_ responds to port
68, not to the source port from which the packet came. So the
configuration you're trying to set up is out of spec, and that's why
it's not working. Sorry I don't have better news. :'} A DHCP
server that did what you want would actually be in violation of
RFC2131/2132.