List:       dhcp-client
Subject:    Dhclient gets extra name servers.
From:       Chittaranjan Mandal <chitta () cse ! iitkgp ! ernet ! in>
Date:       2003-12-06 8:49:11

   *** From dhcp-client -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

Hi

My dhcp server has two ethernet cards (with only one plugged into the LAN). It
also works as the name server. Each of the two IP addresses is associated
with a distinct name.

Dhcpd.conf has been configured to give out only one of the names
(corresponding to the IP of the card plugged into the LAN) as the name
server. However, it gives out IP addresses of both the cards. In addition on
the client side, 127.0.0.1 also shows up as the first entry in
/etc/resolv.conf.

This slows down the name lookup as the client hosts are generally not
configured to run a local name server. Time is lost on two name lookup
failures before succeeding on the last one.

Why am I getting this problem? What is the solution?

-Chitta