List:       dhcp-client
Subject:    Re: DHCP Programmer Resources
From:       "A.J. Filiatreault" <ajfili () eden ! rutgers ! edu>
Date:       2003-06-10 20:31:06

   *** From dhcp-client -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

This is the normal way we have done things for a while, but we
discovered a little "yeah, but.." attached to that method. A majority of
firewalls/routers/etc simply bounce back the packet, looking like a
valid dhcp server open port. This lead to many false positives. I've
currently came up with the following solution. Not much of a DHCP
request anymore but: I ping the dhcpserver port (67) if I get a response
I ping 5 other arbitrary ports not used by most services. If I get
move on. If I only get a few responses but not all, I know I'm dealing
with most likely a dhcpserver or a machine with poorly configured ICS.
-A.J.