List:       dhcp-client
Subject:    Entropy collection in dhclient
From:       Tim Kientzle <kientzle () acm ! org>
Date:       2002-12-29 0:55:00

   *** From dhcp-client -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

The unix_cmd feature in dst/prandom.c troubles
me because it relies on commands that may not
be available in stripped-down systems; I'd
like to remove it so that a single compiled
executable can be used on either full or
stripped systems.

Luckily, FreeBSD has a new /dev/random implementation
that is both fast (>10MB/s) and high-quality
(using Schneier's "Yarrow" algorithm).

Request:  I would like to see a compile option
for dst/prandom.c that removes all of the
entropy sources _except_ /dev/random.  It looks
like just emptying the various informational
arrays in prand_conf.h would suffice, but leaving
all of that dead code in there just feels wrong somehow. ;-)

Related Question:  I can't find where
dhclient actually requires dst/prandom.c.
It looks like that code is only needed
for key generation, and dhclient never
generates keys.  Would it then be feasible
to just remove dst/prandom.c from dhclient
entirely?

Thanks for any pointers,

Tim Kientzle