List:       dhcp-client
Subject:    Re: How do I get dhclient to leave my default route alone?
From:       Johan Ihren <johani () autonomica ! se>
Date:       2002-05-08 7:30:38

   *** From dhcp-client -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

"Charles R. Anderson" <cra@WPI.EDU> writes:

Hi Charles,

> You could do this by modifying /sbin/dhclient-script to check to see
> if the tunnel is up, and if so, leave the configured default route
> alone.  During your tunnel configuration, you would need to put a
> host route to your other endpoint in place to be used instead of the
> default route.  This could also be done via a modified
> dhclient-script.  Just use the DHCP-provided default gateway to make
> a host route to your tunnel endpoint.

Well, yes, I realize that I can do this in the dhclient-script, now
that you mention it. Further, I *should* have remembered that dhclient
by itself never touches the hosts forwarding tables but instead always
works this kind of magic through the various scripts. Ted has actually
told me this twice, in person. But I'm obviously a bit dense.

I'll go and bang my tunnel configuration script and dhclient-script
together into one piece now.

Thanks for your help,

Johan