List:       dhcp-client
Subject:    dhcp and gateways
From:       Paul Crittenden <crittend () storm ! simpson ! edu>
Date:       2002-02-13 20:11:39

   *** From dhcp-client -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

I am new to this list so if this belongs on another list please let me know
which one and how I subscribe to it.

I have a firewall and am using a dhcp server to hand out 10.1.x.x
addresses. These are used mostly for students and a few staff. I have
several machines and servers which I have given static ip's of 10.1.1.x.
Our maintenance department has set up a server, for workorder entry, which
we have given a static ip address of 10.1.1.199. We wanted it to not be
available to the entire internet which is why we set it up this way.

Anyway, if we set the gateway on the server to that of the internal ip of
the firewall, the server can see the internet but only folks with an ip
address of 10.1.x.x can access the server for work orders. Our users which
have public ip addresses, ie 198.206.243.x cannot access the server.
At one time we setup a gateway of 10.1.1.254 on out ISP's router, I don't
remember why. If we set the server's gateway to that ip address everyone
both private and public ip's can see the server but the server can no
longer browse the internet. The only issue with this is it an IIS server
and they will need to install patches periodically and changing the gateway
to do this is somewhat of a pain.

Is there a way to allow everyone to access the workorder software and for
the server to see the internet?

Paul Crittenden
Computer System Manager
Simpson College
email: crittend@simpson.edu
Phone: (515)961-1680

"You don't have to attend every argument you're invited to."