List:       dhcp-client
Subject:    Re: Pseudo interfaces - for all those struggling
From:       Ted Lemon <mellon () nominum ! com>
Date:       2001-09-13 17:14:05

   *** From dhcp-client -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

This is not something that can be got to work, or that needs to be
gotten to work.  DHCP works on a physical interface basis, not on a
virtual interface basis.  There's no way around this (except 802.1Q,
which came up earlier, and which should Just Work).   It's a protocol
limitation - no amount of hacking is going to get around it.

I'm sure you can make a hack to the client that will let you believe
that you have something that works, but there is no hack I can make to
the client that will give you this illusion without breaking the
client for people who need it to work correctly.

If you want to actually solve this problem for yourself, you need to
modify the dhclient-script to do what you want.   You can probably
even do this as a hack to dhclient-enter-hooks - just change
$interface to be hme0:1 instead of hme0, if you want the client to
configure hme0:1 and not hme0 with the IP address that it gets when it
completes the protocol on the physical interface, hme0.

			       _MelloN_