List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: [NEWBIE ALERT] Interchangebility of manual install vs dselect/dpkg
From:       guerard () tigreraye ! yi ! org (Jean-Philippe Guérard)
Date:       2000-07-31 22:05:26

Le 2000-07-31 16:24:07 +0100, Jean-Jack M. Riethoven écrivait :
> I am relatively new to installing my own Debian system (2.1r4). Until now,
> I have managed quite well with dselect. However, I haven't been able to get
> X up and running yet on my video card (a Diamond Viper 550 16Mb).

What happened exactly ? Do you get an error message when launching "startx" ?
Have you installed the relevant X server (xserver-svga) ?
Did you try anXious to configure X ?

> Now coming to my real question: how interchangeble are the installations
> done via dpkg/dselect and 'normal' installations via tarballs? I would like
> to keep dependency information and such, and an updated list of installed
> software for dselect.

The installation via a tarball will lose all dependency information. This
software will be completely ignored by dpkg/dselect, and might get overwritten
at some points.

To use non-debian packages, you might want to look at alien to convert RPM
or other packages format to DEB. It will enable you to still manage the package
using dselect. But X 4.01 might be too complex to convert that way. And it will
probably also forget dependency information.

Hope it helps.

--
Jean-Philippe Guérard