List:       debian-user
Subject:    INN/Gnus help
From:       Paul () dial ! pipex ! com
Date:       2000-01-31 20:03:09

I wonder if anyone can help. I`ve been trying for days now to set up INN to read \
news. So far I`ve been able to collect some messages from my isps` server \
(news.dial.pipex.com) with nntpget which seems to have been put in \
/var/spool/news/articles/cam/misc (the newsgroup is cam.misc). I assume this is \
correct but I`ve no idea how to point gnus in the right direction to read this file \
let alone post messages. I seem to have the wrong idea about the "select-method", \
I`ve tried several different combinations of nnspool/nntp and \
localhost/"var/spool/news" etc. but nothing seems to work. "Directory not found" \
seems to be the common message. I can read my active file which contains all the cam \
newsgroups. If it helps here is my home-made .gnus file:

(setq nnspool-active-file "/var/lib/news/active")
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnspool "localhost"))
(setq nnspool-spool-directory  "/var/spool/news/")

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, the documentation \
on these programs is great on detail but the poorest I`ve seen yet for a clear \
overview.

Thanks
Paul
--
Paul Walton                 * Powered by *
Cambridge                * Debian GNU Linux *