List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: postgresql install problem solved
From:       Bob Bernstein <ruptured-duck () home ! com>
Date:       1999-10-28 10:54:49

Pollywog <pollywog@shadypond.com> wrote:

> I removed that user and it seems that did the trick :)

I had postgresql running in potato, utilizing the 'postgres' user. I would be
skeptical of any fix that involved nuking that user and not putting it back at
some point. Is it back in your passwd file? Also, may I ask which version of
postgresql, i.e. which deb you are using, assuming you installed from a deb?

I am having trouble getting the postgresql server to *start* after last night
updating potato to all the latest and greatest, including postgres debs of
6.5.2-3 vintage.

Now /var/log/postgres.log tells me:

'/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/postmaster: -B must be at least twice -N and at least
16.'

I don't know what that means. Yet. <g>

I have gone through /etc/postgresql and can't find any reference to those vars
in any of the config files.

--
Bob Bernstein                http://members.home.net/ruptured-duck
at

"I think it's a bad treaty." Henry Kissinger in The Washington Post, 10/14/99.