List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: To the Debian Project, IMHO
From:       "Simon Martin" <smartin () isys ! cl>
Date:       1999-09-20 11:14:40

Hi Stephan,

No offence taken, with your mails, and don't get me wrong I quite like GUI interfaces \
for some jobs, command line for others. I just pick the tool I prefer for the job at \
hand. As far as I am concerned this thread is not about the GUI/OOUI/command line \
debate, but about the marketing focus, which can do a LOT of harm.

If I go to a hardware store and by a drill to put up some shelves at home I have to \
know how to use a drill, what kind of wall I am going to be drilling, the type of \
rawl plugs I will use, etc. It is actually quite a complicated business, and the \
thing is most of us accept this as normal. Why make using a computer different. To be \
alble to write with pen and paper I had to learn about ink, hand position, types of \
paper (don't use a biro on bond because it smears easily, etc.), all things that have \
nothing to do with the actual activity of writing a letter, just the mechanics of \
writing a letter. Today I rarely use pen and ink, I use computer and printer, but \
does that mean that I don't have to learn the mechanics of my writing materials? Am I \
born with a mouse attached to my left hand? Is there an instinctive power-on reflex? \
Do I come into this world knowing that opening seventeen instances of a spreadsheet \
program on a 486 with 16MB RAM is not a good thing to do?

All this is basic computer use skills. I HAVE to learn. If somebody tells me "here is \
your computer it just works" what do I expect? If someone says "here is your \
computer, it's fairly simple to use, but you'll have to learn a few things to keep it \
running smoothly" the effect is subtly different.

Unix has been famous for cryptic commands and general user unfriendliness it most \
circles. This is not necessarily good. When the usage message for a command is in \
excess of 5 pages (tar --help) it makes you wonder. I like an easy life, the same as \
the rest of us. I also like my challenges, it adds spice to life. If you present \
someone with a challenge they will usually rise to it (as long as it is within their \
sphere of competence). So let's make life easier, not more difficult. Let's tell the \
truth "Linux is like Unix. You need to know. We can help you, but your a big boy/girl \
now, and you have learn how to take care of yourself". Microsoft didn't and takes a \
bashing from the general users who complain that it doesn't live up to expectation, \
and it doesn't, you still have to know, despite what Microsoft or others may say.

    __ _   Debian GNU User
   / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __   Simon Martin
  / / | | '_ \| | | \ \/ /   Project Manager
 \____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\   mailto: smartin@isys.cl

'I used to be schizophrenic, but now both of us are all right'