List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: To the Debian Project, IMHO
From:       "Simon Martin" <smartin () isys ! cl>
Date:       1999-09-18 11:12:39

Ok, ok, I sit corrected in several respects, but I am still adamant that any attempt \
to paint Linux as an out of the box solution with no prior knowledge is a real danger \
to the on-going comercial success of Linux. I worked in tech-support for Xerox for \
about 7 years (Xerox used to sell Apple Mac, IBM PS/2 and Dell in Latin America), and \
I would say that at least 70% of the problems we had we with users who not only did \
not know what they were doing (no problems with that) but who did not WANT to know \
what they were doing. Microsoft has fixed the image of it's OS as "just use and \
ignore it". Let's not fall into that trap.

Fixing the customers expectations is paramount for a successful install. If you fix \
the expectations as "zero cost, zero learning" then you are NOT going to have a \
successful install. I am fairly competent with Debian, but the last time I looked at \
RedHat, I did not want to do any real config changes until I had read the \
corresponding man pages and other documents, and these are both Linux based!!!!

In short. If you use a tool you have to know it. If you want to use a tool well you \
have to learn how it works. You don't get something for nothing and you definitely \
don't want to tell your customers to expect the world for nothing.

    __ _   Debian GNU User
   / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __   Simon Martin
  / / | | '_ \| | | \ \/ /   Project Manager
 \____/_|_| |_|\__,_/_/\_\   mailto: smartin@isys.cl

'I used to be schizophrenic, but now both of us are all right'