List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: removed foreign architecture
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2024-04-15 20:06:35

fxkl47BF composed on 2024-04-15 18:23 (UTC):

> i run bullseye amd64
> i had i386 as a foreign architecture and removed it with no problems
> i noticed the message
> warning: while removing libsane1:i386, directory '/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/sane' not \
>                 empty so not removed
> /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ has
> libsane.la  libsane.so  libsane.so.1  libsane.so.1.0.26  pkgconfig/  sane/
> /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/sane has a passel of libs
> should these be left, removed, or none of the above

In the past, and possibly still, printer manufacturer(s) only provided Linux
drivers for 32bit. The one I'm using that does or did so is Brother. I haven't
checked lately to see if it has changed its policy.

The files and directories you list seem to be related to scanning, not printing.

Whether you can safely remove them probably depends on your printing and/or
scanning hardware.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata