List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: [ *** ] Job anacron.service/stop running (15min 49s / no limit)
From:       Eduard Bloch <edi () gmx ! de>
Date:       2024-03-03 12:27:50

reopen 915379
thanks

Hallo,
* David Wright [Sun, Feb 11 2024, 10:20:16PM]:
> On Sun 11 Feb 2024 at 20:41:51 (+0000), Darac Marjal wrote:
> > On 11/02/2024 11:21, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
>
> > > - How do I set a timeout/limit for anacron, that it cannot block forever
> > > during a reboot?
> >
> > It may be germane to point out that anacron.service already explicitly
> > sets "TimeoutStopSec=Infinity". So, in the opinion of the developers,
> > the service shouldn't be prematurely killed. Of course you, as the
> > system administrator, always have the right to countermand that sort
> > of decision, but it would be curious to find out why the developers
> > thought they needed to override the systemd default in the first
> > place?
>
> Bug #915379 explains all: long-running cron jobs, like backups, can
> get killed, and there was also an issue with exim.

Yes, and? The opposite is: you have some stupid (and UNKNOWN) task which
hangs forever because of some programming bug. And then your whole system
locks up, unable to reboot, and no way to recover it because the reboot
is stuck because of this. I am observing this on my old hacking laptop
right now, the system took many minutes (5? 7?) to continue, but even
that was pure luck.

Sorry, no, that cannot be the proper way. I am reopening 915379 now, the
maintainer should maybe come up with some sane solution.

Best regards,
Eduard.