List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: partition reporting full, but not
From:       Keith Bainbridge <keithrbau () gmail ! com>
Date:       2024-02-20 7:55:40

On 20/2/24 18:11, Keith Bainbridge wrote:

> On 19/2/24 14:20, Keith Bainbridge wrote:

>>> So later yesterday afternoon I created a new snapshot with no obvious
>>> change is free space.
>>>
>>> I then update/upgrade.   The initial attempt told me
>>> 63 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
>>> Need to get 337 MB of archives.
>>> After this operation, 473 MB of additional disk space will be used.
>>> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
>>>
>>> But the 3 kernel related packages failed to install a couple of
>>> times. When I finally figured I should check space, there was none.
>>> I rolled back to prior to the upgrade, but still no free space.
>>>
>>> I said sometime in this thread that timeshift (and BiT) use hard
>>> links to create progressive copies of the system. The more I think
>>> about how hard links reportedly work, I reckon it can't be simply
>>> hard links.
>>>
>>> So I'm starting a new thread on that topic.
>>>

>> So I'm back to see some more helpful hints. Thanks folk
>>
>> I am convinced that the missing space is used by btrfs snapshot
>> process. But WHY is the used space reporting on my daily driver LESS
>> than that on the spare machine  29G vs 35G? The original install was
>> the same .iso   Ah well
>>
>> I could add some of the spare space the the / partition, but how much?
>> Play safe and use the lot, making it 60G compared to 63G on my daily
>> driver. (And create some free space off the data partition before it's
>> too late.)
>>
>> Just as well I have time on my hands
>>
>> Again, thanks to all for your suggestions
>>

> I am sure I saw a response to comment of mine, where I was misunderstood
> in the numbers I quoted for used space on my daily driver - 29G; and the
> space used by the problem machine - 35G.  There was a suggestion that I
> had not updated it as often as daily driver.    I had kept problem box
> as up to date as daily until a few days ago when it refused to update
> due to lack of space. This is when I discovered I had a problem. It is
> switched off at present, pending my deciding whether to expand /
> partition or re-install on the free space on ext4.   I will delete a few
> snapshots before I proceed, just to see what happens - I'll do that
> shortly, in fact, now I can see that it may have a bigger affect than I
> figured.
>
> Now a minor amendment to my last note, where deleting snapshots has haad
> no bearing on used space.  Before I started, df reported 28G used,
> compared to 29G used yesterday. Remember my home is sym-linked from
> another partition. du is reporting /home is 3M which is the original /
> home/keith and re-named to keep it handy IN CASE I need it some day -
> like when I did some major surgery on that data partition the other
> week.  I'm trying to say that nothing I've done overnight has changed
> used space.  There were no packages to upgrade today.
>
> df is now reporting 27G used on /   confirming btrfs seems to take time
> [...]

Back. On booting up problem machine I was greeted with warnings in disk
space low on /. I generally don't log into desktop on this machine.
Deleted 4 snapshots. df immediately reported used space 33G (down from
35G) and free space 2.9G, up from ~200M at login.  I don't think I've
EVER seen used space and free space equal size before.

I rebooted just to see if anything changed. 10 mins later df is still
reporting
Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
36G   33G  2.9G  92% /

apt update/upgrade gave me
63 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 337 MB of archives.

which I reckon is what I got yesterday after I moved my home to my data
partition and

Quoted from 19Feb at 10:26  (UTC 18Feb at 23:26):
I then update/upgrade.   The initial attempt told me
63 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 337 MB of archives.
After this operation, 473 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

But the 3 kernel related packages failed to install a couple of times.
When I finally figured I should check space, there was none.   I rolled
back to prior to the upgrade, but still no free space.

And earlier:My effort to date is to move my home to /mnt/data and
sym-link it into /home. df is now showing 2.3GB free on /.  df showed
/home as 2.2GB yesterday.  At least there is a little space to play
with; and give me time to consider. A fresh install may be worth
checking in snapshots are as big as this all makes them look.

Back to present, apt is setting up the kernel-image & headers. And
completed to upgrade while I typed that last sentence.
df is reporting 36G 35G 1004M - still used + free = size
Rebooted and df reports  36G   35G  888M  98% /

For now, I'll expand / partition and reduce timeshift retention rules

When I've completed the reading assignment I have from Sunday, I'll move
on.   I might start with changing timeshift to use rsync instead of
btrfs - just to see how it compares. And put snapshots on another
partition. They should really be on a separate drive, but that machine
doesn't have a 2nd drive bay that I could  see when I swapped the system
drive last year when I was given the now 8 year old machine.

I'm looking forward to your responses

--
All the best

Keith Bainbridge