List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: Home UPS recommendations
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2024-02-10 13:57:58

hw composed on 2024-02-10 11:01 (UTC+0100):

> On Fri, 2024-02-09 at 22:28 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

>> Those from the above URL are the same spec batteries used in many APC models.

> Maybe, maybe not.  I couldn't get replacement batteries for the UPS
> from HP not only because HP was so ridiculous as to tell me that I
> could pay for a support ticket to get a price for the batteries, but
> also because the replacement batteries I could get had smaller
> contacts.

Contact size is part of an SLA battery's specs. Small contacts are terminal type
"F1". I've never encountered a UPS that uses them. All I've encountered use
terminal type "F2", which is 1/4" or about 6.35mm wide spade.

> At least you have some cooling.  Basically nobody here has that,
> though it's probably becoming more widespread because it gets warmer
> all the time, and it's unbearable in the summer.  Electricity is
> insanely expensive here and keeps getting more expensive all the time.

It's a big planet. Where is your "here"?

> Hm, if the OEM batteries actually lasted 5 years and if what you say
> is true, they must have been some awesome batteries.  That UPS takes
> two batteries which are tightly packed, and they can get very warm.

OEM batteries must hold up through warranties, so are probably more locally
sourced for high quality rather than low cost from China. Less expensive UPS
models might be designed for a shorter expected lifetime, overcharging more as
they get older and heat takes its toll. It's not something very many consumers are
equipped to test.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata