List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: running a snap package on bookworm?
From:       "D. R. Evans" <doc.evans () gmail ! com>
Date:       2024-01-25 20:33:15

Greg Wooledge wrote on 1/24/24 12:24:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 12:16:21PM -0700, D. R. Evans wrote:
>> 4. But now how do I actually run the program? I tried just running:
>>    $ acrordrdc
>
> Have you looked at the man page for snap?  It's very long, so I took
> a guess and looked for "run".

Thank you; right at the beginning of the man page it says:

  > The snap command lets you install, configure, refresh and remove snaps

so I didn't think it would be relevant to running a package that was already
installed.

> run
> Run the given snap command

I read that and think: "but I don't want to run a snap command; I want to run
an installed snap package".

> The run command executes the given snap command with the right confinement
> and environment.
>
> Usage: snap [OPTIONS] run [run-OPTIONS] <NAME-OF-SNAP>.<NAME-OF-APP> [<SNAP-APP-ARG>...]

When I try the run command:

$ snap run acrordrdc
unknown command: run
$

I was amazed that I simply couldn't find anything about actually running
installed packages (plenty of sites tell me how to install a package, but none
that I looked at then told me how to run the package once it's installed). It
can't be hard, but obviously I'm misunderstanding something fundamental about
snap.

    Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans