List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: playing CDROM music questions
From:       Michael =?utf-8?B?S2rDtnJsaW5n?= <2695bd53d63c () ewoof ! net>
Date:       2024-01-08 21:09:54

On 8 Jan 2024 15:49 -0500, from haines@histomat.net (Haines Brown):
>> But unless you cannot spare 60 megaoctets somewhere, save yourself a lot
>> of trouble: just run cdparanoia -B then opusenc and put back the audio
>> CD at the back of the shelf where it belongs.
>
> where can find an inexpensive drive to hold about 1000 cds and find
> the time do all the converting? ㋡

I don't know what you consider inexpensive, but even uncompressed,
1000 CDs is about 700-800 GB. (FLAC will approximately halve that; MP3
at close to CD quality will reduce it to about 1/10.) Just a quick
check, Amazon lists a USB3 1TB Seagate HDD for $58 plus shipping,
though I've heard some horror stories about buying storage media from
Amazon as of late. There are certainly other options available, both
in terms of hardware, suppliers and resellers. Also 1 TB is
sufficiently small that the next step up isn't appreciably more
expensive; a similar 2 TB model lists for $70, for example.

Alternatively, they also offer SanDisk SDXC 128 GB memory cards at $14
a piece. One such will easily hold 1000 CDs at near-CD quality MP3.

The time to physically go through all those CDs, now that's a slightly
different issue.

--
Michael Kjörling                     🔗 https://michael.kjorling.se
“Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”