List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: systemd and timezone
From:       Pocket <pocket () columbus ! rr ! com>
Date:       2023-12-23 10:46:10

On 12/23/23 01:00, David Wright wrote:
> On Fri 22 Dec 2023 at 18:52:09 (-0500), Pocket wrote:

>>> Another bug at:
>>>
>>>     https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=726256
>>>
>>> * copy /etc/localtime instead of symlinking (Closes: #726256)
>>>
>>  From the email I got from Lennart
>>
>> CHANGES WITH 255:
>>
>>          Announcements of Future Feature Removals and Incompatible Changes:
>>
>>          * Support for split-usr (/usr/ mounted separately during late boot,
>>            instead of being mounted by the initrd before switching to
>> the rootfs)
>>            and unmerged-usr (parallel directories /bin/ and /usr/bin/,
>> /lib/ and
>>            /usr/lib/, …) has been removed. For more details, see:
>> https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2022-September/048352.html
>>

>>          * Support for System V service scripts is now deprecated and
>> will be
>>            removed in a future release. Please make sure to update your
>> software
>>            *now* to include a native systemd unit file instead of a legacy
>>            System V script to retain compatibility with future systemd
>> releases.
>>
>> So that bug is m[oot]
>
> It's not the bug, but changes in /etc/localtime that are the concern
> of this thread, ± side-effects on the importance of /etc/timezone.
> It appears that Debian has switched between /etc/localtime being
> a regular file and a symlink several times.
>
> BTW, I think Debian is somewhat behind Lennart, as even bookworm
> is AFAIK only up to 252. As for SysV, my bullseye has 39 scripts
> in /etc/init.d/, and there are still plenty with bookworm.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

My point is that systemd will not support a split /usr.
Also /etc/localtime should be a symlink as per the standard.
The "dangling  symlink" in the bug report shouldn't ot isn't dangling.

It is a failure of debian, /usr/ not being mounted in the initrd.
That is what should/needs be fixed.

It also is quite meaningless that you have sysV scripts, They are going
to be NOT supported in the future. debian either has to keep systemd at
an old version or remove the sysv scripts as they will no longer be
supported.  There is really no choice in the matter.

I have spoken