List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: logging no longer standard?
From:       err404 () free ! fr
Date:       2023-08-05 13:34:07

On 8/5/23 14:56, Carl Fink wrote:
> On 8/5/23 02:54, Michel Verdier wrote:
> > On 2023-08-04, Carl Fink wrote:
> >
> > > Today, on my Bullseye system, X crashed and restarted. Naturally, I thought
> > > I'd check my logs to see if I could find out why.
> > >
> > > Well, no ... because syslog does not exist.
> > If you don't have syslog your logs will be on journald.
> > But X logs could be in /var/log/Xorg.0.log or
> > ~/.xsession-error or ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log
> It is highly probable that I'm being grumpy because Debian changed something that
> I was used to for decades, without my realizing it. I'm more interested in *using* \
> my computer than learning whole new paradigms about, say, logging. Changing things
> will *always* be perceived as friction unless someone explains clearly why it makes
> sense, to me personally.
>
> -Carl Fink

I have syslog, and journald.
about having syslog, it is probably because I install rsyslog on all my computers (to \
send logs on server through vpn). about having journald, I dont apreciate it, because \
it change many things that already working for years. the ONLY avantage (in my \
opinion) to journald is to start loging very earlier at boot.

may be installing rsyslog is a solution for you (even if you don't need to send logs \
on a remote server)