List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: Why does Debian have code names for releases?
From:       Stefan Monnier <monnier () iro ! umontreal ! ca>
Date:       2023-06-27 14:04:14

>> > DO NOT USE "stable" IN YOUR sources.list FILE!
>> And this is because... ?
> Because a full release upgrade is a process that requires planning and
> execution with intent.  There are many steps to follow, in order to
> maximize the chances of it actually working, and not breaking your
> system.
>
> It is not something that can be done automatically.
>
> It is not something that you ever want to happen by *surprise*.

Even if you use `stable` in your `source.list` and `apt.conf` files, the
upgrade won't happen by surprise: you get prompted (during `apt update`)
about the fact that `stable` has changed name (and this prompt can even
be repeated a few times, I think it's once each for those of
`stable-security`, `main`, `contrib`, `non-free`, `non-free-firmware`
you have in your `sources.list`).

> If you use the "stable" label in your source.list file, and if you also
> use automatic upgrades, there is an extremely high chance that your
> system will perform a *partial* release upgrade at some random time when
> you are not expecting it, and that this will leave your system in a
> bad state.

Until you accept the change `apt update` won't even fetch the new
package info, so there should be no automatic upgrade (not even
partial), AFAICT.

        Stefan