List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: Firefox ESR EOL
From:       Nicholas Geovanis <nickgeovanis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-12-20 15:37:19

On Mon, Dec 20, 2021 at 4:00 AM Jeremy Ardley <jeremy@ardley.org> wrote:

> On 20/12/21 5:52 pm, Curt wrote:

> >> Just having an alternative is attractive to some. Having an open
> >> alternative even more so.
> >>
> >> I'd happily run ARM or RISC-V, if those were an alternative for a decent
> >> desktop or laptop computer. Raspberry Pi is scratching and clawing its
> >> way there little by little. As the Pi 4 has exposed a PCIe connection,
> >> it has a viable storage now for a small system. But still slow and weird
> >> form factor. Maybe in Pi 6 or maybe 10? Who knows.
> > The 3.14159265359 is still popular.
> >
> >> RISC-V is better in the form factor part as there's a standard Mini-ITX
> >> board but the price and performance aren't there yet. Not to mention
> >> software support. I'd want an official Debian release first.
> >>

> There are a few ARM SBC that are very powerful - better than Pi 4. They
> have NVME/PCiE disk interfaces and several USB 3.0 interfaces.

For myself I've always been an Arduino fan over others. And I worked for
British-owned
Premier-Farnell's American property which distributes RPi's here, Newark
Element14 :-)
Helped move their datacenter :-)
Arduino's are mostly ARM-based and models like the Mega are incredibly
powerful and cheap.
Full OS's run on more advanced models, or just Arduino's open-source
runtime. Program in
their C++ environment, python, Java.... Hundreds of snap-on sensor boards
are available.
Italian-made models are on-the-shelf at certain retailers that serve the
maker-community.

I have next to me a prototype synthpad based on an Arduino Uno. 5 years ago
up at Michigan Tech
University, I saw a self-guided submarine drone that had both a Pi and
Arduino on-board. Exploring
in the university's swimming pool.

The NanoPi M4V2 is one such, but there are several competitors mostly