List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: Printjob produces FW error on HP CP1525nw
From:       "Alexander V. Makartsev" <avbetev () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-12-12 12:03:12

On 12.12.2021 15:03, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I changed the model for printer from
>
> postscript-hp:3/ppd/hplip/HP/hp-laserjet_cp1520_series-ps.ppd

> hplip:0/ppd/hplip/HP/hp-color_laserjet_cp1518ni-pcl3.ppd
>
> which made the document printing which caused the internal firmware error in
> the printer before. Both seem to be just close to CP1525nw, but no full match.
>
> I will observe if it has side effects in future.
>
> What I do not  understand yet:
>
> hplip has a huge list of supported printers:
>
> https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/
>
> "HP LaserJet Professional cp1525nw" is even twice in there and it says it is
> fully supported since hplip 3.11.3
>
> I have 3.18.12+dfsg0-2 on my buster cups server, but
>
> # lpinfo -m |grep 1525
>
> produces no output.
>
> How do I find out for my printer which is the correct cups printer model?
"hp-laserjet_cp1520_series-ps.ppd" looks just right to me.

Did you compared current firmware version of your printer with the
available firmware update on HP support site?
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-pro-cp1525-color-printer-series/4052975/model/4052979

In general it's a good idea to keep firmware up-to-date and it might fix
your issue.
The only difficulty you might face is the firmware update is available
for Windows OS only.
If you don't have any Windows PCs you can create KVM/QEMU virtual
machine, install evaluation version of Windows 10 on it and redirect
printer to VM by using USB Host Device function.
I've updated firmware of another make\model printer using this method
without any issues.

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴  ⢶⣦
⣾    ⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄      https://www.debian.org[Attachment #3 (text/html)]

  <head>
  </head>
      wrote:<br>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">Hi,

I changed the model for printer from

postscript-hp:3/ppd/hplip/HP/hp-laserjet_cp1520_series-ps.ppd

hplip:0/ppd/hplip/HP/hp-color_laserjet_cp1518ni-pcl3.ppd

which made the document printing which caused the internal firmware error in
the printer before. Both seem to be just close to CP1525nw, but no full match.

I will observe if it has side effects in future.

What I do not  understand yet:

hplip has a huge list of supported printers:

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" \
href="https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/">https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/</a>

"HP LaserJet Professional cp1525nw" is even twice in there and it says it is
fully supported since hplip 3.11.3

I have 3.18.12+dfsg0-2 on my buster cups server, but

# lpinfo -m |grep 1525

produces no output.

How do I find out for my printer which is the correct cups printer model?
</pre>
    "hp-laserjet_cp1520_series-ps.ppd" looks just right to me.<br>
    Did you compared current firmware version of your printer with the
    available firmware update on HP support site?<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" \
href="https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-pro-cp1525-color-pr \
inter-series/4052975/model/4052979">https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-pro-cp1525-color-printer-series/4052975/model/4052979</a><br>
    In general it's a good idea to keep firmware up-to-date and it might
    fix your issue.<br>
    The only difficulty you might face is the firmware update is
    available for Windows OS only.<br>
    If you don't have any Windows PCs you can create KVM/QEMU virtual
    machine, install evaluation version of Windows 10 on it and redirect
    printer to VM by using USB Host Device function.<br>
    I've updated firmware of another make\model printer using this
    method without any issues.<br>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴  ⢶⣦
⣾    ⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄      <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" \
href="https://www.debian.org">https://www.debian.org</a>   ⣄
</pre>