List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: Firefox ESR EOL
From:       Jonathan Dowland <jon+debian-user () dow ! land>
Date:       2021-12-10 10:39:50

On Thu, Dec 09, 2021 at 05:51:49PM -0500, Michael Castellon wrote:
>easier than this?

You're comparing apples and oranges, here, because your solution (which
is perfectly fine, by the way, for those who are happy with it: I do
something very similar for myself)  doesn't compile Firefox from source
and is specific to amd64, Debian needs to do something that works for
all 9 architectures we support.  We also apply 22 patches (currently) to
the source tree, every patch needs to be individually checked and
possibly removed or rebased for on every version update. And a
substantial chunk of the work is in getting the (new) build dependencies
sorted out.

--
Please do not CC me for listmail.

👱🏻	Jonathan Dowland