List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: bullseye and running graphics over ssh
From:       "D. R. Evans" <doc.evans () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-10-07 20:46:14

Greg Wooledge wrote on 10/7/21 2:21 PM:
> On Thu, Oct 07, 2021 at 02:15:45PM -0600, D. R. Evans wrote:
>> For years (decades, actually) I have routinely executed graphical programs
>> over ssh (i.e., I sit at computer A, ssh into computer B, then run a
>> graphical program on computer B whose windows, mouse events, etc., all occur
>> on computer A).
>>
>> In bullseye, at least out-of-the-box bullseye, this suddenly no longer works.
>
> You should have been using "ssh -X B" all along to get this functionality.
> Your previous system A must have had ssh_config (or your personal
> .ssh/config) set up to turn on X11 forwarding by default, which is
> not recommended.

That's interesting...

ssh_config was overwritten. Normally when a config file I've altered is
overwritten during an upgrade, I expect to be told and to be given a chance to
do something sensible -- and that didn't happen in the case of the global ssh
configuration file. But indeed, comparing the bullseye ssh_config to the one I
had in buster, I see that ForwardX11 has changed back to "no" whereas I had
forced it to "yes" in buster.

You're right that making that change in the global config file was bad
practice, so this time I've left the global ssh_config unchanged from the
default and added an explicit
   ForwardX11 yes
to the entry for the destination host in ~/.ssh/config.

So nothing to do with Wayland. Thanks for putting me straight and saving me a
lot of frustration.

   Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans