List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: How to avoid systemd/udev unpredictable NIC names
From:       <tomas () tuxteam ! de>
Date:       2021-08-31 6:11:33

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 01:11:33AM +0200, Steve Keller wrote:

[...]

> OK, several people suggested the kernel command-line option
> net.ifnames=0.  Since I almost never change hardware configurations
> this is probably OK even with my two NICs, one on the mainboard, the
> second is a PCI card.  If the kernel should really change the
> enumeration of the cards in some future, I will do something about
> that.

A good alternative in your scenario above would be to take
control of udev rules yourself and rename your NICs based on
their MAC address (or on some other tidbit belonging to the
card and not to some boot lottery). See, for example [1] (just
a random find on the Intertubes, you might have to adapt the
rules to the newest fashion, yadda, yadda).

After all, systemd is doing just the same, albeit in a somewhat
obfuscated way.

Cheers

[1] http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/udev.htm

 - t