List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: Strange emacs behavior after upgrade to bullseye
From:       Rainer Dorsch <ml () bokomoko ! de>
Date:       2021-04-20 13:59:00

Am Dienstag, 20. April 2021, 13:50:14 CEST schrieb tomas@tuxteam.de:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 07:28:19AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> > > Anyway, this is a good hint. See
> > >
> > >   "18.3.4 Protection against Simultaneous Editing"
> > >
> > > in the Emacs user manual (or, if you prefer reading in a browser,
> > > here [1].
> > >
> > > But your permissions set up is... strange. The above behaviour
> > > doesn't look plausible to me. Unless rd is actually root.
> >
> > Or /mnt/dor1rt/Local/ is on a non-Unix file system.  Perhaps it's a
> > removable USB device with an NTFS or FAT type file system.  Or perhaps
> > it's some sort of network file system whose underlying implementation
> > is not Unix-based.
>
> Yes, non-Unix file system os definitely a reasonable option: the
> /mnt/ part (and the 777 modes everywhere) could be seen as a
> hint :-)

Yes, correct, its mounted through virtualbox (vboxsf) and the host is a window
system which uses NTFS (I think). From a permission perspective 777 should be
sufficient though. The question is why does emacs think that is not enough, and
opens it as read-only? And even if I toggle the read-only mode, it complains
while writing...

thanks
Rainer

--