List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: Strange emacs behavior after upgrade to bullseye
From:       <tomas () tuxteam ! de>
Date:       2021-04-20 10:39:13

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 12:00:05PM +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> Am Montag, 19. April 2021, 22:25:44 CEST schrieb tomas@tuxteam.de:

[...]

> > Perhaps Emacs is trying to write a backup file to the directory.
> > Does it have write access to the containing directory?

[...]

> There is nothing which would not allow emacs to write a backup file in that
> directory
>
> rd@Testing:~/local/Managed$ touch test.txt
> rd@Testing:~/local/Managed$ ls -l test.txt
> -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Apr 20 11:48 test.txt
> rd@Testing:~/local/Managed$ rm -rf test.txt
> rd@Testing:~/local/Managed$

Strange setup: How does test.text belong to root if you are not root?
I'd understand that it belongs to group root, that's what the setgid
bit is for. But _user_ root?

> For me the crucial message is
>
> basic-save-buffer-2: Unlocking file: Operation not permitted, /mnt/dor1rt/Local/
> Managed/sb.blog

Anyway, this is a good hint. See

  "18.3.4 Protection against Simultaneous Editing"

in the Emacs user manual (or, if you prefer reading in a browser,
here [1].

But your permissions set up is... strange. The above behaviour
doesn't look plausible to me. Unless rd is actually root.

Cheers

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs//manual/html_node/emacs/Interlocking.html

 - t