List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: Strange emacs behavior after upgrade to bullseye
From:       Rainer Dorsch <ml () bokomoko ! de>
Date:       2021-04-20 10:00:05

Am Montag, 19. April 2021, 22:25:44 CEST schrieb tomas@tuxteam.de:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 06:48:41PM +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I hit a strange emacs issue, which appeared after upgrading to bullseye (I
> > think):
> >
> > I have a virtualbox filesystem mounted using the standard virtualbox
> > mechanisms:
> >
> > rd@Testing:~$ mount |grep dor1rt
> > dor1rt on /mnt/dor1rt type vboxsf (rw,nodev,relatime)
> > rd@Testing:~$
> >
> > rd@Testing:~$ ls -l /mnt/dor1rt/Local/Managed/sb.blog
> > -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 47086 Apr 19 13:40
> > /mnt/dor1rt/Local/Managed/sb.blog
> > rd@Testing:~$
>
> Perhaps Emacs is trying to write a backup file to the directory.
> Does it have write access to the containing directory?
>
> Cf. the variable `make-backup-files' and those linked in its doc
> (for this, do C-h v make-backup-files).

There is nothing which would not allow emacs to write a backup file in that
directory

rd@Testing:~/local/Managed$ touch test.txt
rd@Testing:~/local/Managed$ ls -l test.txt
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Apr 20 11:48 test.txt
rd@Testing:~/local/Managed$ rm -rf test.txt
rd@Testing:~/local/Managed$

For me the crucial message is

basic-save-buffer-2: Unlocking file: Operation not permitted, /mnt/dor1rt/Local/
Managed/sb.blog

(~/local is a symlink to /mnt/dor1rt/Local/)

What does this message exactly mean and what is emacs trying to do here?

Other editors (vi, kate) don't report any issue when performain an edit
operation. Is emacs trying to derive permissions in a different way?

Thanks
Rainer

--
Rainer Dorsch