List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: debian-user list info and guidelines: spam
From:       <tomas () tuxteam ! de>
Date:       2021-01-25 19:57:21

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 11:39:14AM -0500, John Kaufmann wrote:
> On 2021-01-25 08:56, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > Sometimes I get the impression that some economic actors hate mail
> > because it can't be fenced-off as easily as the "social" silos and
> > are doing their best to kill it.
> >
> > A pity that pgp/gpg hasn't caught on better.
>
> That comment led me to wonder about what contribution pgp/gpg might make to \
> fighting spam. That led to pgp.mit.edu/faq.html, which has this ...

...although I didn't mean to imply that. OTOH, such shenanigans
as Brian reports (the mail provider changing mail's content in
transit -- hamfisted much? What else do they do?) would be cut
short by that.

> > Q: I think spammers got my email address from the PGP keyserver. What can I do?
> > A: Yes, there have been reports of spammers harvesting addresses from PGP \
> > keyservers. Unfortunately, there is not much that either we or you can do about \
> > this. Our best suggestion is you take advantage of any spam filtering technology \
> > offered by your ISP.
>
> ... which of course brings us back to what triggered this thread. Now, I suspect \
> IAC that addresses harvested from a PGP server would be unprofitable for a spammer, \
> but do you have something operational in mind?

Look, I don't fear spam as much as provider's greed. FWIW, I run my
own mail server and have next to no spam filtering measures (whenever
some source becomes annoying, I quench that one directly) and the
amount of spam I receive is mildly annoying, at most.

IMO the best anti-spam measures are a good MUA and a knowledgeable
user.

Cheers
 - t