List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: Why is idle not detected?
From:       Anders Andersson <pipatron () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-01-08 23:25:46

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 9:47 PM Rainer Dorsch <ml@bokomoko.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running Debian 10 and sometimes idle is not detected correctly on my
> (KDE) system and the desktop is not going to suspend.
>
> A typical candidate is a not correctly terminating vlc process which does not
> have a screen anymore but is still alive. Sometimes I cannot find out what
> causes the problem.
>
> Is there a way to find out what is the holding back the idle detection?
>
> I am thinking of something like doing a dry-run of the idle detection by cron
> with a report every few minutes and log the report (without actually
> triggering suspend if idle is detected). Whenever idle is not detected
> properly, the log file would tell the reason.
>
> Any idea or hint is welcome.

For me it is ALWAYS vlc, and it has been doing this at random for the
past year or two. No solution other than "killall -KILL vlc" now and
then and especially before leaving for the night. I don't know what
triggers this behaviour, it doesn't always leave stray processes
around.

Maybe some day I'm annoyed enough to file a bug report. This happened
with different GPUs, different monitors, Wayland vs. X11, and I see
this on Gnome in Debian testing.