List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: Installing Debian root on ZFS mirror NetBoot
From:       David Christensen <dpchrist () holgerdanske ! com>
Date:       2019-03-31 22:12:31

On 3/31/19 12:45 AM, Mimiko wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I know that ZFS is not well supported as MD raids. All I've found on
> internet on installing Debian on ZFS is using a live disk.
>
> My goal is to boot from network and install Debian root on ZFS raid
> mirror. I can do this using MD raid. I am searching for suggestions of
> how to enable ZFS during installing from network and partition disks
> using ZFS.
>
> Any suggestion and ideas a welcome.

I migrated my SOHO file server to FreeBSD specifically for ZFS.  While
FreeBSD rocks as a server OS, I find that graphical desktops are better
on Debian.  On Debian, I use BTRFS.  I also use only one device for the
system drive, and keep it small (16 GB SSD and USB flash drives) to
facilitate taking, storing, and restoring images.

David