List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: apache 2.4 envvars ? Deb 9.4
From:       Peter Wiersig <peter () friesenpeter ! de>
Date:       2018-07-16 8:05:17

Dave <debiantechquestions@gmx.com> writes:

> when i run apache2, i get an error APACHE_PID_FILE missspelled or
> unknown var.
>
> and how do i include the "envvars" in the apache2.conf file ?
>
> please advise.

/usr/share/doc/apache2/README.Debian.gz:

       Apache2 Configuration under Debian GNU/Linux

       (...)

       Please be aware that this layout is quite different from the standard
       Apache configuration. Due to the use of environment variables, apache2
       needs to be started/stopped with '/etc/init.d/apache2', apachectl, or
       apache2ctl. Calling '/usr/bin/apache2' directly will not work with the
       default configuration. To call apache2 with specific command line
       arguments, just call apache2ctl with the same arguments.

I guess both of your problems vanish after you use apache2ctl instead.

Peter