List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: is google earth safe to install?
From:       "Torsten Rahn" <tackat () t-online ! de>
Date:       2015-10-10 20:20:46

Hi,

> On Tue, September 1, 2015 9:47 am, Darac Marjal wrote:
> > In that case, consider "marble", which provides a similar "virtual
> > globe" and is LGPL 2.1+ licensed.
> > I did install marble.  Perhaps my installation is not correctly
> configured, but after seeing the detailed photograph of "Tour Eiffel" on
> the google.com website which advertises google earth, I am disappointed in
> marble.
> > For example, looking at London, I see nothing but pixels in shades of> green and tan.
> > RLH

you apparently looked at our "Atlas" map theme which just renders a classroom
atlas. However Marble offers plenty of other map themes, like OpenStreetMap
and others. Some even allow you to view the Tour Eiffel.

For more information check out our documentation

https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kdeedu/marble/index.html

or

http://www.tuxarena.com/2014/10/marble-atlas-review-alternative-to-google-earth/

Technically it's even possible to view Google Maps/Earth map content using Marble
although it's not officially supported.

Best Regards,
Torsten