List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: 2 TB HDD not automounting under Debian.
From:       Bret Busby <bret.busby () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-02-05 6:30:41

On 02/02/2015, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/02/2015, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Maybe the drive is formatted NTFS? NTFS drives won't automount under
>> my Ubuntu system, either. However, the older FAT partitions had a file
>> size limit that was too low for todays media so newer large drives
>> don't use it.
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 5:51 PM, shirish शिरीष <shirishag75@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> This is on a testing machine What happened is I bought a 2 TB Seagate
>>> Backup Plus Slim
>>> couple of days ago. The system is an old system having few USB 2 ports
>>> while the HDD is USB 3 but supposedly backward compatible. I can see
>>> the HDD via lsusb and fdisk but for some reason it's unable to
>>> automount it. Any ideas what could be the issue ?
>>>

> I have USB external drives that I understand to be NTFS, that
> automount, on Debian 6 (both before LTS, and, with LTS), so I think
> that that might not be a problem.
>
> I have just checked.
>
> I have an HP USB external HDD, 500GB. It is NTFS, as shown in the
> Debian 6 system Disk Utility.
>
> It automounts on Debian 6LTS, and, it had been automounting on this
> Debian 6 system, before the LTS.
>
> So, I believe that it is not an issue to do with NTFS.

Hello.

In the midst of attempting (yet again - multiple previous attempts, on
previous versions) to install PC-BSD 10.1.1, in the PC-BSD handbook ->
installation procedure, is

"
  Partition disk with GPT: GPT is a partition table layout that
supports larger partition sizes than the traditional MBR layout. If
your installation disk/partition is larger than 2 TB, this box must be
checked, otherwise checking this box is optional. Some older
motherboards do not support this option.
"

So, I am wondering whether you need to use a GPT system, to get the
2GB drive working as you want it to work.

Do you have a GPT system, for you to try with the drive, to find
whether it behaves differently, and automounts?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."