List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: is this =?UTF-8?Q?sensible=3F?=
From:       berenger.morel () neutralite ! org
Date:       2014-06-30 10:35:37

Le 29.06.2014 00:25, Vincent Lefevre a écrit  :
> On 2014-06-25 14:26:03 +0200, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
>> This is the problem with non interactive tools: if you do not master
>> the non
>> interactive tool, you do not have real control on it.
>>
>> I have learn a lot of things because I used aptitude with it's
>> ncurses
>> interface. It features a preview mode, in which you can see why
>> things are
>> done. With this knowledge, you will be able to customize the
>> behavior made
>> by your update.
>
> In complex cases (like this one?), aptitude is worse than apt-get to
> find the right dependencies. It sometimes wants to remove a package
> instead of upgrading it, see e.g.
>
>   https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=570377
>
> (the ncurses interface, which I always use by default, has the same
> problem).
>
> --
> Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@vinc17.net> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>
> 100% accessible validated (X)HTML - Blog:
> <https://www.vinc17.net/blog/>
> Work: CR INRIA - computer arithmetic / AriC project (LIP, ENS-Lyon)

Well, I **never** use the aptitude's solutions.

One of the first things I do when using aptitude on a new computer is
disabling the "auto-repair feature" and automatic installation of
recommended packages.
Then, when I do some action which breaks something, I can fix it by
hand, using my own choices, assisted with the preview of the actions
that I use like a summary of the actions to do/stuff to fix.

I know that it probably needs more time than simply asking to softwares
to guess what you want, but I am a programmer, and I know that a program
can never guess what I have in mind, which solution I will prefer.
Especially since I do behave differently regarding computer choices than
most people.