List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: OT: setting up public wifi
From:       Richard Owlett <rowlett () cloud85 ! net>
Date:       2014-01-29 20:17:31

Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> On 1/29/2014 9:33 AM, Rob Owens wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 3:46 PM, Jerry Stuckle
>> <jstuckle@attglobal.net
>> <mailto:jstuckle@attglobal.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 1/28/2014 1:42 PM, Rob Owens wrote:
>>
>>         I need to set up wifi in a church, and share the wifi
>> with the
>>         rectory
>>         (a separate building).  I've been doing some research,
>> but am
>>         looking
>>         advice to help me get through this quicker.
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>     Rob,
>>
>>     What's your background in such technologies, i.e. rf, hot spot
>>     creation/management, etc.?
>>
>> I have enough background that I know I can do this if I was
>> willing to
>> drill holes and run wire, which I've done plenty of times
>> before.  But
>> I'm trying to make this as easy as possible.  I've never used a
>> wireless
>> range extender, but maybe I'll just buy one and try it out.
>>

> Running wires and trying to cover a large area with or without
> range extenders are two entirely different things.  The latter
> takes much more expertise to do properly.
>
>> When I said "general public", I should have said
>> "congregation".  This
>> is for members of the church.  That could be several hundred
>> people.
>> The guest account would be password protected, but I have
>> realistic
>> expectations of how secret that password will be.  In any case,
>> the
>> church is in a semi-rural area and is surrounded by empty land
>> on all
>> sides, so there is no general public except for the people in
>> the church.
>>

> It doesn't matter how rural your church is.  As soon as the
> password gets out (and it will, as you understand), your hot spot
> will be subject to abuse.
>
> There are people who look for unlisted hotspots and post them on
> hacker sites.  Small businesses (Mom and Pop) and churches are
> favorite targets because they often have not spent the money
> necessary to have someone knowledgeable properly secure their
> system.
>
>> My worst case scenario is probably some kind of event at the
>> church
>> where 100 people with smart phones all want to check their
>> email.  Most
>> of the time it'll just be 3 office computers being used for
>> church business.
>>
>> -Rob
>
> That is nowhere near your "worst case scenario".
>
> Jerry

I would like to *EMPHATICALLY* agree!

You have a problem requiring expertise in at least three diverse
disciplines:
   1. physically installing the system
   2. designing the system to operate as required under nominal
conditions
       CRITICAL subtask: just what is specified goal?
   3. securing system against:
      a. accidentally being compromised
      b. malicious attacks
         To understand how being "rural" is *NO* protection,
insert respective
         antenna elevations into sites such as
         http://www.calculatoredge.com/electronics/lineofsight.htm

At a minimum, Google "securing Debian".