List:       debian-user
Subject:    Difference between OpenVZ and Parallels Virtuozzo Containers OS templates and the way how CentOS and
From:       Aleksander Kurczyk <akurczyk () outlook ! com>
Date:       2014-01-29 17:40:36

Hello,

I have an Parallels Virtuozzo Containers VPS with CentOS 5 OS template. I can't \
change the template trough the PVC Power Panel nor by asking my provider to do that. \
He told me that the image is the container and it's impossible to change it.

I've tried unpacking the OpenVZ (not PVC) CentOS 6 image directly into my container's \
virtual disk and ... IT WORKED! There was some errors during the boot and there were \
many unnecessary files (that I didn't removed) but it booted and even the hypervisor \
was able to add an IP address to the container and I could manage files in there \
trough the PVC Power Panel.

I wanted (and I still do) Debian 7 in there so I've tried the same way and it even \
started and the SSH service (along with the others) was up (I could see that in PVC \
Power Panel) but I couldn't access the container directly via SSH nor HTTP.

Yesterday my provider finally repaired some problem with the "repair mode" (in which \
another container is created with the clean OS image, my IP address is attached there \
and my container VHD is mounted under /repair directory so I can repair it when it \
crashes). Then I've tried to unpack the Debian 7 image (for OpenVZ not PVC) into \
/repair directory after removing every file from there and boot it. Unfortunately it \
won't started again. Even worst, I couldn't access the Power Panel - there was \
nothing responding on my IP address:4643. I had to write to my provider to restore a \
clean image for me.

Right now it works, but I don't understand how this could happen. Is that normal that \
after removing some files the access to the PVC PP is impossible? Why? What files are \
important? How does the Debian and CentOS starts under OpvenVZ/Virtuozzo? What is the \
difference? Where can I get the OS templates for PVC? And finally, how can I install \
the image myself without crushing the PVC Power Panel?

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Kurczyk