List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: how to configure pulseaudio to use analog speaker on motherboard not hdmi on video card
From:       Klaus <klaus.doering999 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-12-31 17:38:55

On 31/12/13 14:53, Mitchell Laks wrote:
> 1. My situation, on bootup pulseaudio only recognizes the bad card
> 2. I have to kill it then I can select correct one, either by pacmd or \
> gnome-control-center if I have a desire to run a gui. 3. Surely we have someone on \
> the list who knows what we can do to configure the pulseaudio startup to select the \
> correct devices? Mitchell

IIUIC pulseaudio (PA) uses sinks provided by alsa. So, if after first
starting X (and this then starting PA), PA can't see the second card,
then I'd check firstly whether alsa provides these sinks at this moment:

$ aplay -L
$ aplay -l

Does the output to these two commands change after you killed &
restarted PA ?

According to man pulseaudio and man pulse-client.conf, there are various
conf files which can be used to set the default sink device definition:
/etc/pulse/default.pa and /etc/pulse/pulse-client.conf, and their
counterparts in the ~yourusername/.config/pulse/ directory. There are
also hardcoded defaults, and all current config can be viewed by

$ pulseaudio --dump-conf
--
Klaus