List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: Migrating 32 -> 64
From:       David Christensen <dpchrist () holgerdanske ! com>
Date:       2013-08-12 5:17:40

On 08/11/13 19:44, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> I ate the $10 NIC putting it on a shelf because return shipping +
> restocking fee is almost $10.  Second time around I emailed the e1000
> driver list.  An Intel engineer responded and verified that the
> universal model of the Pro/1000 GT should work.  Ordered one for $32 +
> shipping, plugged it in, and it works great.  So I spent $42 + shipping
> times two to get a GbE NIC into this machine.

I agree that it's very hard to justify spending money on obsolete
hardware.  I must have subconsciously assumed the OP had a spare Gigabit
NIC (I have a couple in my spare parts inventory).

Without a free NIC, I'd probably: back up the old box (burn to optical,
use external drive, whatever), build the new box, move the old HDD into
the new box, and proceed from there.

HTH,

David