List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: [OT] SATA 3TB: unsupported sector size -1548812288.
From:       Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-08-31 11:35:35

On 31/08/11 20:08, Lisi wrote:

>> Actually ^^ Lisi(?) that's not a restriction - it can be be run on
>> Squeeze
>
> How?<skips excitedly>
:-) :-D

Well... it's not easy, and probably not sane. Leave it with me for a bit
and I'll dig through my notes and try and write a useful guide.

>> and then there's Trinity.
>
> I know.  I have a Squeeze box running Trinity, but not my desktop.  Trinity is
> not yet *completely* production ready, if, like me, you cannot code yourself
> out of trouble.

I've had it in production of some Asus Eee PC 701SDs for about 6 months
now - no complaints from the users. The only problem I had was that
Konqueror doesn't automatically refresh. In the mean time I've become
very happy with KDE4 (mostly).

> It's already great for many purposes, and I was glad to see the change of
> policy from "bring a new version out every six months, willy nilly" so that
> problems never really had time to be solved and everything was released at
> the beta or even alpha stage (Ã  la Ubuntu (is Ubuntu feminine?) - Timothy
> Pearson is a Ubuntu user) to "not released until it is ready".

De-coupling from Ubuntu can only be a good thing. The reason people want
Trinity is stability.

> It is a marvellous project and I follow its progress eagerly.  I am really
> grateful for the time and trouble of those in it who are able to code.  I
> would already use it for some of the people whom I support, whose usage is
> different from mine.  But there are one or two GUI apps that I sometimes use
> as root, and most can not be used as root in Trinity.
>
> If necessary, I shall just have to live without them if that is still the
> situation when support for Lenny is withdrawn.  But I have a few months yet,
> and I was intending to raise this issue on the Trinity users list in the near
> future.
>
> Lisi

Agreed that it's a great project (worthy of a donation).
More proof that Open Source is a great development model.

I suspect support for Lenny will run for a long time yet - and for many
purposes a separate firewall will provide security if and when patching
stops (I've heard Sarge is still used on some dedicated devices - and
gets patches from the manufacturers).

Cheers

--
"The definition of black irony is Pro-lifers killing Doctors who do
abortions"