List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: Avoid POP3
From:       Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () meetinghouse ! net>
Date:       2011-05-18 14:32:01

CamaleĆ³n wrote:
> That's okay, but not for me (so I noted), at least not "technically
> speaking" in this context where pop3, due to its own nature, inherits by
> default a "download/fetch/get/retrieve and delete" action ;-)

Nope.

The protocol is very specific - listing headers, downloading/reading
messages, marking messages for deletion, and actually deleting messages
(when a QUIT is issued) are very distinct operations that have to be
executed via different protocol transactions.  There is no inherent
combined download/fetch/get/retrieve/delete action.

There may be default actions set up in a client, but those are client
and configuration specific.

There may be defaults and customizations on the server-side, but those
are external to the protocol (if a server deletes messages after they're
downloaded, that's completely outside the scope of POP3).