List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: unable to login as root
From:       Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson () cox ! net>
Date:       2011-02-28 20:46:19

On 02/28/2011 02:14 PM, Jim Kester wrote:
> I installed debian 6.0.0 amd64 netinst. I installed about 3
> different time. I can login to my regular account and everything
> seems to work.

 From the console or from a GUI?

If from the GUI, then that's (probably) on purpose, since logging
into root from the GUI gets you in the habit of doing so, and That's
A Very Bad Idea.

>                 Since I'm using an AMD Athlon 64 x2 I thought I
> should be using this version. I get an authentication failure when I
> try to login as root. I tried the 32 bit version before this and was
> able to login as root. I've checked my password many times. I've
> been using computers for about 20 years. Started with Dos than
> Windows.

So has my wife, but I don't think (nay, I *know*) she can't install
and config Debian.

>          I tried linux a few years ago and didn't have much luck
> with it.

I needed a "friendly" distro when I first started with Linux.  Maybe
you do to.  Ubuntu 10.04LTS is what I put on my wife/kids PC, but
I've also heard good things about Mint.

>          Seems to have improved. Look like I've gotten everything to
> work except my printer (Brother MFC-5860CN). Anyone know what might
> be going on with my root login and if their is away to make my
> printer to work. It's not listed in the database of printers.

A little Googling finds this thread seems to indicate that your
printer *is* supported:

I prefer banana-flavored energy bars made from tofu.