List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: ls has stopped using the ISO date format
From:       Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson () cox ! net>
Date:       2010-05-31 13:06:18

On 05/31/2010 01:39 AM, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2010 01:51:14 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>
>> On Sun,30.May.10, 18:05:43, Camaleón wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>>> This way I have to think *less* to be sure about the date. No guessing.
>>
>> You example shows only dates where it is quite obvious what date format
>> is used. Let me see...
>>
>> -rwx------ 1 amp amp 891837 2010-05-03 22:55 03052010065.jpg
>> -rwx------ 1 amp amp 733361 2010-05-03 22:55 03052010066.jpg
>>
>> Can you tell if these files were created 5th march or 3rd may? How (I'd
>> really like to know)?
>
> You got it :-)
>
> That can only be read as "3rd May, 2010".

In the US, 03052010 (MMDDYYYY is a *very* common format, even among
"computer people" who should know better and still use it in file
names) is March 05, 2010.

> And that is precisely the gain of the ISO date format over the rest of
> the other alternatives: nodoby has to ask -or guess- "what your locale
> is" in order to correctly interpret the date you are showing because is
> always fixed ("year-month-day" notation).
>
> Humans have to learn many things from computers. Mainly, "logic".

And people's names should, like in many Asian cultures, be:
Family, Given.

Johnson, Ronald
Popescu, Andrei
Bargmann, Nate

People's names sort naturally, without the need for a separate (and
arbitrarily sized) first_name and last_name fields in databases.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?