List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: digital camera recomendations
Date:       2009-02-19 22:03:55

On Thursday 19 February 2009, Richard Lyons wrote:
> I used to think standard batteries were a better idea too, but they don't
> perform anywhere near as well as the L-ion flat ones most cameras now use.

This is slightly misleading. Yes, lb for lb, LI batts perform better, but
often if a camera uses AA's, it uses two or four, which pack a wallop vs a Li
batt which may last longer, but how long do you really need vs the ease of
having standard chargers for AA and the excellent reusability of AA's in many
devices? For me, it's a win-win for my two smaller cams (Canon S5 and Pana
LZ10, that use AA's and last a long time with Sanyo Eneloops).

My big cameras both use the standard XT/XTi LI charger, so at most, for 4
cameras, I carry two chargers and two cheap sets of replacements for the AA's.
I can shoot indefinitely for cheap money, vs. having two or four replacement LI
batts around (which, for name brand, are minmum 20 bucks each on the cheap
end)

> I was in Budapest last week with a friend who had to buy new AAs for his
> camera.  An hour later they were flat, but my camera's L-ion battery lasted
> a full day.

But if yours went flat, a replacement is not easy to find and you'd have to
carry a special one-use charger. For some people, utility over absolute power
contained in the batt is a win.