List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: Unrestrict chown?
From:       "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03 () volumehost ! net>
Date:       2008-12-09 22:53:53

On Tuesday 2008 December 09 16:21:54 Scott Gifford wrote:
>Christopher Zimmermann <madroach@zakweb.de> writes:
>> Hi!
>>
>> On my debian box using linux kernel its not possible to give away files,
>> only root can change file owners. Is it possible to configure this
>> behaviour and allow all users to chown their own files?
>
>As others have mentioned, normally this is a bad idea.  But if you
>have a specialized need for it, you can write a small program to open
>the file, check the owner with fstat, then change the owner with
>fchown.  If you install this program setuid it will let you give this
>capability to your users.
>
>If you used this approach, you would need to take great care in
>writing the program so it doesn't allow users to give away others'
>files.

While your technique is effective, it might be better to modify the existing
chmod source.  Otherwise you lose (or have to re-implement) all the nice
features like -R.  Do it right, (including handling the case where chown
isn't suid, as well as various security issues) and you might be able to get
upstream to accept it, as an option
(e.g. ./configure --with-restricted-chown-override-when-suid-root).
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net                      ((_/)o o(\_))