List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: OT: Programming Robots
From:       "Adrian Levi" <adrian.levi () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-11-30 5:59:47

On 30/11/2007, Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
> My college student grandson says he wants to study programming robots.
> Aside from all the commercial (game?) kits are there serious Linux
> applications that he should consider?  If so, how best to get started?
>
> Tom

For me part of the solution is to learn a programming language that
can do bitwise operations is a great start, C and pascal can
communicate directly to hardware fairly easily. Learning to program to
an old style parallel port can be useful, there are a ton of things
you can do with a parallel port. Very simply you can have 4 "address"
lines using LF FF Paper-out and online and 8 bits data. Use the 8 bits
data to turn things on and off and the address lines as limit switches
etc. You can interface to the port using common ttl type logic gates.
One IC he might like to look into is a ULN2003. In 1 IC package there
are 8 high current sinking transistors with protection (for turning on
and off relays etc).

He can also use an old style game port for an analogue input (for
position sensing).

All in all the posibilities are endless.

He is going to have a lot of fun.

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.