List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: GPL Parental Controls
From:       Mark Grieveson <dg135 () torfree ! net>
Date:       2006-11-01 21:48:16

> You should not need a separate machine to run DansGuardian (and e.g.
> > tinyproxy). They'll run on the "main" machine and you would simply need
> > to point your browser to the "localhost" proxy.
> >
> > Of course there is nothing to stop your daughter reconfiguring the
> > browser to bypass DansGuardian, but I'm assuming this isn't likely
> > (yet!).  To fix that you _would_ need a separate proxy machine.
That can work effectively.  I set up something like this for clients in
a homeless shelter a while ago.  To prevent people changing the
preferences in Mozilla (or Firefox), from the local host proxy, to
direct internet connection, I locked this feature in Mozilla.  See
http://www.alain.knaff.lu/howto/MozillaCustomization/locked.html for
details how to do this.  Also, check out the thread where I was
struggling with this issue, at
http://oldsite.debianhelp.org/module-pnForum-viewtopic-topic-9774-highlight-shelter.html

Basically, create a mozilla.cfg from the first site I mentioned, and
then edit the /etc/mozilla/prefs.js file.  I can't recall the exact
details, unfortunately, and the thread doesn't mention them either.
But, I did get enough clues from that forum thread to figure it out.
Assuming you've no other browser besides Mozilla or Firefox, then the
proxy with Dansguardian will be locked in.

Mark