List:       debian-user
Subject:    Re: GPL Parental Controls
From:       Douglas Tutty <dtutty () porchlight ! ca>
Date:       2006-10-31 21:10:30

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 10:16:28PM +0200, David Baron wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 October 2006 21:38, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On 10/31/06 13:32, David Baron wrote:
> > > My daughter has begun to do the google. I will not always be able
> > > to sit with her and she will figure out how to get into it
> > > herself. What is there around for keeping kids off the smut, for
> > > konqueror or opera?
> >
> > You'll have to set up a proxy computer that runs dansguardian or a
> > similar filter.
>
> I only have one system here. Maybe the proxy could be a virtual machine.
> Question is how much this would complicate/bog down the works.

Just my personal optinion and feel free to ignore it.  We don't know how
old your daughter is.  Presumably she has other avenues of accessing the
internet than at home (school, library, friends' house, etc).  She's
your daughter; she will only get into the smut either by accident or
because she's curious.

I would suggest you teach her how to avoid getting into it by accident
and address the curiosity as a parenting issue.

Please, I'm not trying to start a flame war.  If you've decided that you
need parenting controlls, carry on.  I just wanted to offer some
perspective.  (Its what happens when one is both an engineer and a
nurse.)

As far as bogging down the system, it depends on how powerful your
system is.  I don't know how to have a proxy server on a system from
which you want to prevent direct web access.  Someone here will.

Good luck.

Doug.